October 11, 2014

Rushing, Rushing


I just read the first chapter of a new book by Lysa TerKeurst.  One sentence, consisting of only four words, grabbed my attention right away… “Admission instead of omission.”  Yes, many of us say we strive for authenticity, but honestly we are often less than truthful with both others and ourselves.   So, I’m going to be honest.  It often takes longer than I’d like to admit before I get around to tasks I myself believe to be a priority... I get busy with less important tasks. I get distracted. I get worn out.  

http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/10/rushing-rushing.html
That is why I subscribed to Unrush Me: A 5 Day Challenge.  This morning I received Day 5...  Did I mention that it’s a five day series?  Tonight, I’m finally reading {Unrush Me} Day 1 – The Rhythm of Rush.  Better late than never… right?  Well, I am so glad I made time tonight to read that first email.  Lysa speaks truth - truth of experiences I can identify with and truths that I need to remember when I have set our life to the rhythm of rush.


I found myself rushing my husband in conversation. Rushing my kids out the door. Rushing to the next thing and then the next.  Rushing to make dinner and then rushing my people through dinner. 

Exhaustion gnawed deep places in my heart, demanding me to slow down. But how? I’ve made my decisions and now my decisions have made me.

~Lysa TerKeurst  

Do you ever feel like life's no fun because you are rushing, rushing?  Do you ever feel like your decisions have made you or your day or your week?  Do you ever feel like you're in hurry but you don't know why?  Okay, now I'm singing an Alabama song ... “I’m in a hurry to get things done.  Oh I rush and rush until life’s no fun.  All I really gotta do is live and die.  But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why.”  But, seriously, I don't want to look back and realize I didn't live my life with purpose


It is when we look to the Lord’s leading that we get true perspective.  You can read more of Lysa's reflection too.  Unrush Me is both on Lysa's website and at (in)courage.  The main point I love is that Lysa reminds us to look to the life of Jesus:

Jesus never rushed. He set His life to the rhythm of connection and compassion. With great intentionality Jesus stayed unrushed.

Yes, this is what I want too… intentionality that results in an inner calm, compassion, and connection.


As I mentioned earlier, I also started reading Lysa TerKeurst's new book The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands.  I like how Lysa reminds us not to confuse the command to love with the disease to please. Again, if we look to Jesus, we can aim to live and love like Him.
http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/10/rushing-rushing.html
It isn’t about being busy or not.  It’s about what we are doing and why.  It’s about what we perceive as external expectations and our own internal expectations.  I wonder sometimes if we are busy because we think we should be.  I wonder sometimes if we are busy because we are avoiding something else.  My admission tonight is that I find myself trying to have control… Yes “trying” is the critical word.  I believe the irony is that while we try and control our choices and we chase freedom and opportunity, we are actually choosing personal priorities, busyness, and stress over true freedom, our true calling, and God’s opportunities.  If we can filter these expectations and our emotions, then we can listen better to God’s calling and be more aware of our true purpose.  I am realizing something great happens when you let go.  
  • What areas in your life could benefit from admission instead of omission? 
  • If you have started reading Lysa’s book "The Best Yes," what are your thoughts? 
  • What has happened when you have let go of expectations and made time to connect? 
Related reading...

http://www.thebettermom.com/2013/04/19/why-we-all-might-need-to-slow-down/
Slow Down

http://www.thebettermom.com/2014/08/28/slowing-rhythm-rush/
Slowing the Rhythm of My Rush
http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devo/overriding-your-to-do-list/
Overriding Your To-Do List

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...