January 5, 2014

Mission Project Completion

http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-year-projects.html

So, we've already established that I don't really set resolutions at the start of each new year.  I do, however, find myself thinking of projects.  Today's project has been tidying up my Pinterest boards... Okay that may take more than one day!  I don't know about you, but I do tend to start one task and then get distracted by other only slightly related tasks.  I still have not found that school lunches template that I wanted to print out... and I didn't like any of the other meal planning sheets I found... but I did find a great daily and weekly task chart to personalize.

So, today I'm going to share a few resources that I hope will help me stay focused and get things done.


Fly Lady and many others have checklists for household tasks, but I always thought cleaning would get done when it needed to get done.  Then I saw a simple chart where you clean one area of the home each day.  Finally, I read Ann Voskamp's reflection regarding "How to Compose New Habits." She suggests that "Every song needs a rhythm; every week needs a routine. Tie certain tasks to a day or another activity."  Then I decided if I'm going to do checklists, well I want all the checklists on one list. So, here is what I found today to help me spend more time on task in 2014:


http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-year-projects.html
credit: Organizing Home Life
Following I'll explain some items a bit and provide links that have inspired me to prioritize and make better use of my time.

Thanks to Ginny at Organizing Home Life for this schedule to personalize.

"Child Chores" is a reminder to work with our children on completing their own chores throughout the day.  They have their own routines, and I think it's important that they not only pick up after themselves but also learn to help with household tasks like dishes and laundry.

Many have spoken of the benefits of unplugging and limiting time online.  I know I can lose track of time when online and then end up rushing other important tasks.  Also, I want my children to get my undivided attention.  I do have phone calls and other online tasks to accomplish, so I've set a time once a day to do these tasks... okay, once during the day and then I may get online again after the kids are in bed.

"Couple Couch Time" is a concept we first discovered and started when our first-born arrived.  The Ezzos' books from the "Growing Kids God's Way" series speak to the fact that a strong family has a strong marriage at the foundation.

"Supper and Scripture" is something we decided to do after I read Ann Voskamp's "One Habit that Radically Changes a Family."  The concept is simple "You never leave the table without chewing the Real Bread... when we eat Scripture, we eat the only real food, for Christ is Living Bread and eating He who sustains all things, sustains body and soul.  When we eat His Words, we eat of the eternal world." (Deuteronomy 8:3)

Fly Lady and many others have touted the benefits of short bursts of cleaning.  I have decided to do a 10 minute tidy all through the house three times a day to keep on top of clutter and daily cleaning.

Over the last few months, I've been trying to be better at making more time for prayer and reading scripture. So, I was really excited when I found the great Prayer Journal printables from Monica at Daily Dwelling.

"Word In, Work Out, Work Plan" comes from Ann Voskamp's December 31, 2013 post:  "A Grace Plan: A Doable Life-Changing Plan for a New Year, A New You: With Printable."  I'm thinking "Grace... I need it.  Plan... I like it.  Printable... I love it."  

In the beginning, Ann Voskamp talks of habits and speaks of a piano instructor teaching that "We are all going to botch it somedays. We all sometimes get the notes wrong. But the song only goes wrong when we keep thinking back to the wrong notes... When a piece starts to fall apart — fall forward. Fall forward into the next bar. Moving forward is what makes music."  Then she shares her "25 Point Sanity Manifesto."

http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-year-projects.html

In her story, Ann Voskamp explains flame first, stepping on the snake before breakfast, and staying in the pool (or on task).  She speaks to working on your wall before noon and stepping outside to listen.

I've already tried some of her simple steps, things that I'd forgotten.  It really does make a difference when you sing, when your day and week has a rhythm, and when you laugh.

Other reminders include: unplug to plug into your purpose, watch your nos and your yeses will take care of themselves, envision the end goal.

Other life-changing concepts and practices: breathe, pray, count your gifts, celebrate, have a daily stillness appointment, rest, remember who you are in Christ.

But, most profound of all, she reminds us to really enjoy each day and to remember "Go slow. Life zone. Life isn't an emergency: It's a gift."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...