November 9, 2014

So Simple Snacks: Five Ingredients or Less

http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/11/so-simple-snacks-five-ingredients-or.html
Whether you are at home or on the go, having a low-key or a busy day, I have found that it's a good idea to keep healthy snacks around.  What has really surprised me though is how easy it is to do this.  Today I am sharing three of my favorite simple snacks... because you really can throw something together with not much time and a handful of ingredients.

I hope that this post will be helpful, giving you both recipes that you will use and inspiration to come up with your own simple snacks.  What are some favorite snacks you could throw together with five ingredients or less?

My boys still love what we call apple sandwiches.  It's a simple snack we started a few years ago.  The "sandwich" is made when you core and slice apples {cutting horizontally}.  Imagine a peanut butter sandwich with apple slices instead of bread.  Of course, my boys eat theirs "open face" so they can load on more peanut butter.  They also often add a few dark chocolate chips.

This always seemed like a healthy enough snack to me.  Recently though I realized, while great for growing boys, this snack maybe had a little too much peanut butter {okay fat} combined with the natural sugar of the apple slices for this mama.  I was thrilled when I realized how delicious peanut butter dip was with apples.  Okay, I probably knew it would be delicious, but I was a little intimidated at first by 0% Greek Yogurt.


http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/11/so-simple-snacks-five-ingredients-or.htmlThe peanut butter apple dip I make is so simple and tasty though.  Just mix 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter with about 3 teaspoons 0% Greek yogurt.  Then sweeten to taste.  I like to add a splash of vanilla, three drops liquid Stevia, and a dash of Celtic sea salt.  Grab yourself some apple slices and you have a wonderful snack.  Okay, I guess I have to admit that's technically six ingredients when you count the apple slices.  {If you are a Trim Healthy Mama, this is an E snack.}


I used to love cheese and crackers.  While we keep a wide variety of wheat and whole grain crackers in the house, I have recently accepted that I need to eat much less gluten.  No shortage of cheese in our house either.  And, no, it's not just because of the state we live in... We all love cheese!  Well, I recently decided to be adventurous and try to make my own crackers.  My husband summed it up well with his shocked response: "These taste amazing, and they are so easy.  Why didn't we do this before?!"


http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/11/so-simple-snacks-five-ingredients-or.htmlSo, let me tell you how easy it is to make your own tasty {and yes low-carb} crackers.  All you need is olive oil, Celtic sea salt, and Joseph's Lavash.  Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil and place a Lavash Bread square {actually more like a rectangle} in the pan.  Pour some olive oil in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the top of the bread with the oil.  Sprinkle salt on the bread.  Use a pizza cutter to slice the bread into small squares {you know cracker sized}.  Then toast in your oven, set at 325F.  After three minutes, check on your crackers.  I like to flip them over and move the crackers at the edge to the center {so they don't unevenly brown, as the edge pieces crisp faster}.  It usually only takes another one to three minutes until they are golden brown.  Let them cool and enjoy, keeping the remaining crackers in a sealed container in your cupboard. {THM S snack} 

Finally, I believe everyone needs a quick snack to satisfy a sweet tooth.  Earlier today I shared my favorite decadent chocolate desserts. Depending on how you make it, peanut butter whip {with dark chocolate pieces on top} has three to five ingredients.  This dessert uses your blender and can be as simple as: pour whipping cream, whip, drop in peanut butter, blend, spoon into bowl and top with dark chocolate pieces.  Another recipe included in the decadent dessert post is the flourless chocolate cake.  It is simple to prepare and only has four ingredients, but it does take a little more time as it has to bake and cool.  {Both of these desserts are THM S.}

  • Have you tried and enjoyed any of the recipes here?
  • What are some of your own snacks you have thrown together with 5 ingredients or less?
  • Have you been intimidated by a particular food {or recipe} only to find that you now love it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...