October 30, 2014

Baking Fall Treats: Healthier Apple Desserts

Last Fall, I came home with bushels of apples.  I was thrilled to explore making all things apples: Apple Crisp, French Apple Squares, Caramel Apples, Apple Cake, Applesauce, Apple Butter, & Apple Pie with my first ever homemade crust.  This Fall, I decided to attempt another first: adapting a recipe for Trim Healthy Mama eating.  I don't know why I thought it would be so hard to adjust fat and substitute for sugar, because it was much easier than I had anticipated!  You don't have to be eating the THM way though to enjoy the following "healthified" apple recipes.
http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/10/baking-fall-treats-healthier-apple.html
A big thank you to my family, my friend Donna, and the ladies at Zumba for being my taste testers! 

Here is my typical recipe for Apple Crisp:

http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/10/baking-fall-treats-healthier-apple.html

This is a delicious dessert that speaks Fall flavor to me.  I've been eating healthier lately though.  See, unfortunately, my tummy has not been fond of flour.  Also, my energy drops dramatically after I have too much sugar.  So, remembering my sister's favorite apple crisp topping and the delicious apple crisp our neighbors used to make, I thought I'd be adventurous and create my own hybrid recipe using oats and oat flour (with no white flour), a little less fat, and a sugar substitute.  My body had no negative reactions to this new version of apple crisp, and my taste buds could not tell the difference.  Success!

Here is my Healthified Apple Crisp recipe:
   3-4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
   2 Tbsp. baking Truvia (or sugar substitute equal to 1/4 c. sugar)
   1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon
   Mix above three ingredients well and place in lightly greased 8 inch square pan.
   3/4 c. oats (grind down a bit in the blender)
   3 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
   1/4 c. baking Truvia (or sugar substitute equal to 1/2 c. sugar)
   Combine above three ingredients to make topping and sprinkle over apples.
   Bake at 375F for 37 minutes.
Note: This recipe is Trim Healthy Mama E if divided into 9 servings.

I also played around with the Apple Cake recipe.  Here is my new "healthified" version:
   4 medium apples, peeled and sliced small
   + sauce:
   1/4 c. baking Truvia (or sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 c. sugar)
   1/4 c. water
   1/2 tsp. Glucomannan (if non-THM, you can use 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch or 1 Tbsp. flour)
   1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
   Place apples with sauce in a lightly greased 8x8 inch pan.
   + topping:
   3/4 c. oat flour (make your own by placing 3/4 c. oats in the blender)
   1/4 c. oats
   6 Tbsp. brown sugar (I made my own sugar-free brown sugar)
   5 Tbsp. butter, softened
   Sprinkle topping on apples & bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 325F.
Notes: This version is half the original recipe, which is why you use an 8 inch square instead of a full-size cake pan.  This recipe is Trim Healthy Mama E if divided into 12 servings.

Note to self: Take pictures of desserts sooner... They go fast!
http://ichoosejoy2day.blogspot.com/2014/10/baking-fall-treats-healthier-apple.html
My oldest son loved the apple cake, and he immediately begged me to make more.  I don't think it's truly a cake though, more like a variation on apple crisp.  Either way, I was delighted to have created two healthier versions of favorite recipes.
  • What are your favorite apple desserts?
  • Have you been intimidated to change up recipes?
  • Do you have a "healthified" recipe to share?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...